Issue 55:2 includes a Spotlight on Decision making under uncertainty. Other topics include urban ecology, population monitoring, tropical forest restoration and more. Here we take a look at some of the articles published in this issue.
- Decision making under uncertainty
Senior Editor, Michael Bode on this issue’s selection of Spotlight papers
- How does grazing by wild ungulates and livestock affect plant richness?
This issue’s Editor’s Choice
- Jaguar habitat use outside protected areas in Central America: accounting for the detection process generates new insights
With English and Spanish videos
- Tracking restoration of population diversity via the portfolio effect
Understanding changes in diversity and resillience
- One step back, two steps forward: impacts of disturbance on the population dynamics of an endangered species
The ‘double-edged’ sword fire brings to habitat dynamics
- When ecosystems take with one hand and give with the other
Small rodents and the costs and benefits for farmers
- The only way is up: reptiles in trees resist the impacts of cattle grazing
Our post from Reptile Awareness Day
- The human influences shaping peatland vegetation communities
Peatland protection policy
- More than just a pretty cover – enhancing plant conservation on green roofs
Conservation and green spaces in urban landscapes
- Putting ecology theory to work: trends and opportunities in ecological restoration
Restoration ecology with a global perspective
- Diversity robustly suppresses weeds in intensive grassland systems
Read this post in English, German, Dutch, Spanish, French, Icelandic, Italian, Lithuanian, Norwegian, Catalan or Polish!
- Seals avoid tidal turbine sounds
Does reliable tidal energy come at an environmental cost?
- Tiny translocations study has BIG message
Should plants or animals be moved in a bid to conserve them?
- Microclimate determines transplantation success
An Associate Editor’s take on the above translocation study
- Bet on bats to find white-nose syndrome
Early detection and management
- Strawberry fields forever
With Spanish translation
- A prioritised list of invasive alien species of EU concern
One of two Policy Directions in this issue
- Bears on the move: effects of human development and climate change on hibernation in a large carnivore
Climate change, bears and us
- Managing non-native species and building a risk assessment checklist
The second Policy Direction in this issue and a part of the Spotlight feature
Issue 55:2 of Journal of Applied Ecology is available here.